Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hot Topic Makeup

So as I was at Hot Topic the other day doing my usual drooling-but-not-buying routine at items of Hello Kitty, Lady Gaga, and Alice In Wonderland, I noticed they had some makeup on sale. A lot of items were .98 cents apiece, so I thought I'd get some to review, since I've never tried any of them, and I haven't seen them on anyone else's blogs. I always love looking at their polishes- they have so many pretty colors. They have a lot of pretty palettes too, although none on sale so I didn't get any. I purchased 2 polishes, 2 glitter eyeliners, and one eyeshadow. This is the only picture you get, sorry! The lighting is too shitty. So, the eyeshadow is just a matte white, nothing remarkable. The glitters look just as they do in the container, dry in a couple minutes, peel off easily, like you would expect. The nail polish is not as unremarkable as these items, because it totally SUCKS. You have to hold your grip on that teeny tiny black lid, which makes it really difficult to keep a steady hand. The brush is fat but not in a good way, and it's stiff and the bristles spread themselves out for a weird, uneven coat. Also, the polish is thick, gloppy, and runny. When I pulled the wand out of the bottle, it dripped all over the sides, and I had to keep trying to wipe it off and stop it from dripping everywhere. So while I'd say most of the Hot Topic makeup is the mediocre quality you would expect, DO NOT buy the polish. These weren't even worth the .98 cents, much less the normal price of $3. Don't get sucked in by the pretty colors! Hopefully by next weekend I'll have some Forever 21 makeup to show you. Mall brand makeup is intriguing me right now.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I put back the bright blue polish that I was going to buy yesterday then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boo D: no wonder it was on sale for 98 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me how that eye shadow works out for you. :o I love the Bloody Mary stuff, and I've had good luck with their eyeshadows. My Hot Topic doesn't sell them anymore because they've replaced it with their crappy knock-off of Bloody Mary. The Morbid Makeup or whatever the hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have never thought of Forever21 makeup before!

    I am drooling over the Alice in Wonderland OPI nail polishes but can't justify the hefty shipping to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame about the polishes, they look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria Secret's makeup is supposed to be pretty decent. Maybe you'll want to try that! They have a lip gloss similiar to NARS's Turkish Delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, that's a bummer about the nail polishes! They're pretty in the bottle at least? lol xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm I've got one of those Bloody Mary eyeshadows.. it's a hot pink. It took me a while to figure out the best way to use it, and with the right base it was scary bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't used Hot Topic makeup since I was a teenager. I remember the glitter liner being total crap but still got compliments when I used it...I wonder if it has improved since then. You should do some swatches! Pretty please. *bats lashes*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn, I was hoping that the polishes would be good :( As soon as I saw the pink & glitter I thought "oOo I want one" lol XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rai: This was definitely a case where I got what I paid for...

    @PapyaBunny: Their polish is so not worth it!

    @SilhouetteScreams: Yeah, I think that should be their permanent price for the polishes, lol

    @Julissa: Mk I will! Bloody Mary has a website with some cool looking stuff, I checked it out.

    @Bowsnhearts: The glitter ones are great, I got both! They are a HUGE pain in the ass to take off though!

    @Lillian: I know, it was a bummer :/

    @NV Beauty: Thanks for the suggestion! I got one of their glosses for my 16th birthday and I remember it smelled just like caramel apples. I'd love to try their makeup :)

    @Caitlin: I know, so lame :/

    @Kim: They had one that was a COMPLETE highlighter yellow. Probably the only color I've ever considered too bright to buy!

    @Blix: Yeah, it still sucks lol. I'll swatch the purple one soon, it's really pretty.

    @Dana: I know, they're sooo pretty! Disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete